Skip to main content

Look what happened here today


About 3:00pm today, a strong line of storms moved through the D.C. Metro area--and, boy howdy, did that line move through! We were under a tornado warning (meaning they spotted enough rotation to warrent a warning) here in Prince William County, which they cancelled at a little before 3:o0pm. Just after that, however, the local news weather guy flashed up a radar screen showing rotation just above us. Heh. The wind whipped through here like crazy. My son and I waited until the last minute and after the worst of the wind went through to climb in the truck to get to my daughter's school (which was supposed to get out at 3:15). There were leaves, branches and trees down all over the place. Reminded me of the damage after the tornado that hit Montgomery while we were living there. I'm thinking it was straightline winds, though one of the teachers at my daughter's school said the noise inside the school during that time was incredible.

Storms don't worry me that much here, as the tornadoes are usually F0 or F1 (though the one that went through a town south of us last month was nearer an F3). I feel a lot more secure about my daughter in her school here than I did in Montgomery, where F4s are not unheard of. Amazing.

(Images: from my cell phone)