Skip to main content

One of my favorite things

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire

I adore Asian food. Of all kinds. And I'm always looking for something new to taste. Earlier this week, my husband and I took the kids to a local Thai restaurant. I ordered Pad Thai (one of my favorite foods), but also tried something new: Tom Ka. I just don't get that gift of folks that come up with the idea to mix things like coconut milk and lemon grass and lime juice, but, oh my, does it work. So, I decided to try to recreate it. My first attempt didn't go so well (I think because I used low-fat coconut milk), but then I tried this receipe. Oiy. As I've said before, food can be quite magical. (Just watch Babette’s Feast or read Like Water for Chocolate to get what I mean.) These are the times when I rediscover that eating is a God-given pleasure. And that makes it one of my favorite things.

(Image: my soup)