Skip to main content

2008 Golden Globes nominees released

Well, the Golden Globe nominations are out. As I've said before, our move earlier this year from the Deep South to the D.C. area has cramped my theater going activites as we haven't found a steady babysitter (though conversely it's definately increased our NetFlix activity, heh). As a result, I haven't seen many (if any) of the motion picture nominated, so I must point you to folks like Peter Chattaway and Jeffrey Overstreet for the scuttlebutt and worthiness of the nominees.

As for the small-screen angle, I actually do have a couple of observations. First of all, no Battlestar Galactica, sigh. I thought this last season had some very nomination-worthy performances. It wasn't nominated for the 2007 GGs, either, which is a shame because it was the early episodes of last season that were the strongest--especially performances by Michael Hogan as Colonel Saul Tigh in Exodus Part 2. Granted, these episodes pushed boundries I wasn't entirely comfortable with, but they were admitedly some of the best television out there. (For more on BSG from this blog, start here and then scroll through this.)

I was glad to see Pushing Daisies made the list in several categories, including Best Comedy, Best Actress (Anna Friel), and Best Actor (Lee Pace). Also, Saving Grace made an appearance in the Best Actress (Holly Hunter) category. I haven't blogged this show much, mostly because I have a love-hate feelings towards it: On the one hand, I think it has some of the best and more edgy explorations of sin, woundedness and faith out there (especially from the rethinking-how-we-do-church angle), but its wishy-washy theology really irks me. Also, an old favorite of this blog has been nominated again in the Best Drama and Best Actor (Hugh Laurie) categories: House.

Update: It's probably worth mentioning that Lost and 24 aren't among the nominees this year. Hmm. Interestingly, both of the series lost my interest during their previous seasons.

(Image: Hollywood Foreign Press Association)