Skip to main content

Nothing new under the sun



I realize I am late to the game in just discovering Kirby Ferguson, but I came across his Everything is Remix series this evening after I became somewhat discouraged after reading a tweet that Blade Runner is up for the prequel/sequel treatment. As I was Googling comfort, camaraderie and explanation of my angst, I ran across the second installment of Kirby's series. You know, I feel better now, not because I have come to terms with attempts to recapture classics like The Thing, Total Recall, The Birds--okay, you get the picture--but because I was reminded of the things that separate a mere copy (or a blatant attempt to make money) from a transformation. While there may be nothing new under the sun, there can be such beauty in a transformative "remix". (You can see the other installments at Kirby's web site.)