Skip to main content

Another 'Smallville' promo

Note: the promo has brief scenes suggesting sexual content.

Above is another promo for the tenth and final season of Smallville, the CW series that chronicles the journey of Clark Kent as he eventually becomes Superman. While the promo content didn’t reveal anything I didn’t expect, I did find the song, Nature Boy, an unexpected and fascinating choice. The song is a classic, made famous by Nat King Cole:

There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far, very far
Over land and sea
A little shy
And sad of eye
But very wise
Was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

I’ve always liked the story nature of this song, and I think the song’s story pairs well with Clark’s, which we revisit through images and scenes in this promo. I also appreciate how the lyrics’ conclusion accentuates one of the underlying and foundational themes of the series: the transformational power of loving others and being loved. And the haunting tone (heightened Kerli’s cover of the song) fits with and foreshadows the sacrificial nature of love in this story. I appreciate the way the series had explored these themes and I think the song choice is a good one as we anticipate the final chapter of Smallville (though, I must admit, I did find the transitions to the scenes of dialogue above the song's lyrics a bit awkward).

The series returns September 24 at 8:00 p.m.

Hat tip to Blastr.