Skip to main content

'Outcasts': A new series on my radar

A new series on my radar is the upcoming BBC sci-fi series Outcasts, set in 2040 on a nearby planet settled by a group of “social misfits and criminals” as “the pioneers of a large new settlement” after some sort of nuclear event on earth. It’s been noted by TV Guide's Matt Roush as a sci-fi/Western hybrid which (as Rob Owen at Pittsburg Post-Gazzette suggests) brings back memories of beloved-by-this-blog Firefly as well as elements of the shortlived Earth-2 (I loved the premise of this series) and the recent (and also beloved of this blog) Battlestar Galactica. But beside the fact that it’s sci-fi (and I love my sci-fi), what intrigues me about this series is the questions the creators (the makers of favs-of-this-blog Life on Mars and Hustle) are exploring:
… will the new people bring the problems of Earth with them? Will the mistakes that destroyed Earth be repeated? Will the arrival of a new, would-be leader, rock the fragile and precarious equilibrium of the fresh, unified and courageous new world? And, most importantly of all, how do is a new and better world created?
This sets up another interesting question: will this be a utopian or dystopian series? Personally, I’m hoping for the latter as I think they make better stories (think Blade Runner and Children of Men), but here’s how one of the creators, Ben Richards, responded to the subject per the aforementioned Rob Owen:
"The idea is that there is hope for humanity and there is the potential for survival," Richards said. "One of the books I particularly hate is 'Lord of the Flies' because it suggests humans are inherently evil and children are filled with original sin and I don't believe that. I wanted to tell a story where humans are neither good nor bad, they're just human."

Another interesting insight? A tweet posted by The Surf Report on Twitter:
Outcasts creator/writer Ben Richards loved Deadwood but doesn't think he can get away w/everything that show did.
I’ve only seen a half-dozen episodes of HBO's short-lived Deadwood, but personally, I was fascinated by it. Putting all this together, I’m not sure what to think of Outcasts at this point. Deadwood definitely had a dystopian feel to it, yet it showed the power of love to overcome the darkness of humanity—and that is something I am fully onboard with as that is the kind of story with the potential to bring God-talk into open spaces. It’ll be interesting to see where Outcasts heads.

(Image: BBC America)

Comments

J. L. Watts said…
Loved Firefly (Evil Fox) and this one does sound interesting. Any idea when it will hit America?
Carmen Andres said…
so far, indications are this fall...