Skip to main content

More on covenant community

I'm a bit behind on this, but MWR posted several of the columns in a 13 week series I'm writing that correspond with scripture used in an international Sunday school lesson plan for NCCC member denominations. The series is focusing on the story of our redemption and its connection to God's covenant community, and these three look at Jesus and his invitations to the kingdom and the kind of covenant community God’s had in mind all along. "One set free" explores Jesus' encounter with the legion-possessed man; "Crumbs of life" focuses on his encounter with the Syrophoenician woman (by which I personally was fascinated--what happened in her life to lead her to such a place of smart, humble assertiveness? Where was the girl's father? How did she learn so much about Jesus that she could respond the way she did?); and "A radical call" takes yet another look at Jesus' well-known encounter with the rich man.

As I've said before, I'm really enjoying this series and what I'm learning about what it means to be God's people and who he's called and enabled us to be. But I must admit, I found myself resonating with New Testament prof Daniel Kirk who tweeted today: "Knee deep in the deeds of the kingdom. Unfortunately, that means 'preparing to teach on them,' not 'doing them'!"