Skip to main content

Hearing what you see


The BBC reports that scientists have discovered there are folks who can hear images. How cool is that?! Apparently, it has been well-established that there are those who see colors when they hear music or see numbers and letters, but until now only somewhat known that there are those who hear sounds associated with images. The discovery is categorized as a rare form of synaesthesia, the experience of the senses intermingling. The above video is part of a test given to determine if folks have the ability. It's silent for me, but how about for you?

Comments

Ken Brown said…
Yeah! I think I hear a whooshing sound, like a toilet flushing...

Ok, I'm kidding, but I think synaesthesia would be awfully cool, if a bit confusing. Come to think of it, The Shack's description of the world when Mack's eyes were "openned" seems a lot like synaesthesia (and yes, that was my not so subtle way of telling you I finished it this morning. Once I've processed it a bit, I'll put together a post or two, but I did find it very interesting and moving, if a bit uneven).
Carmen Andres said…
ken, that's a great observation regarding Mack's experience. in many ways, it could describe what many folks experience when they've encountered God's love. it goes a long way towards explaining mine. and it does leave you a bit distracted for awhile . . .

i'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Shack. I too found it uneven but, i must admit, overwhelmingly powerful in some parts. blessings.