Skip to main content

More Mall life

Today was another day on the National Mall for the kids and I. We hit the National Gallery of Art again--that's my five-year-old son looking up at the massive doors after closing--where once again I stood in awe only inches from the brush strokes of legends (that's Rembrandt's Apostle Paul below).

We also stopped off at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History where we not only saw their crystal skull but also walked through their live butterfly exhibit, where several of the magnificent creatures landed on my son's head (my 10-year-old daughter thinks it's because of his bright red hat).

We also ventured through the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum . . .

. . . where we saw the actual hatch from the Apollo 11 capsule (below) along with other mind-bending artifacts.

We finished the day in Chinatown . . .

. . . at Tony Cheng's. Apparantly, this Chinese restaurant is a hot tourist spot--heh, while I was sitting outside waiting for the rest of our party to arrive, I saw no less than two tour buses pull up and empty out in front of (and into) this particular restaurant. The food was pretty good, but my favorite D.C. Chinatown restaurant remains a little Thai restaurant called Kanlaya on 6th Street.

Tomorrow, we'll spend one more day on the Mall. I'm grateful to our out-of-town friends, because we'd begun to take for granted our proximity to D.C. and all its offerings. It's an amazing place.

(Images: mine)

Comments

Don said…
Carmen,
Three days in a row, you are raising intellectual kids or bribing them big time with some future offer of thier kind of fun.
I really think about blogging but part of the problem is that I have thought and studied myself into a type of post evangelicalism that needs time to settle before I share my heart in public. No doubt the web as a source for study and theological reflection has change my life in the last five years.

Don in AZ
Carmen Andres said…
heh, they ARE going to Disneyland in a couple of weeks. seriously, most of the time they do love it, especially my 10-year-old daughter. she IS intelligent and enjoyed everything we saw. in fact, we couldn't stay long enough for her. my five-year-old son, however, has a shorter attention span and the art museum's were hardest on him because he had to be so careful.

i completely get the need to settle in the midst of a shifting. i've been out of institutional church life for about a year but haven't written about it much, mostly for the reason you articulate so well. we're likely to head back into that life again soon, and as such, i'm beginning to put down into words some of what's settled into my heart in the past year.

i look forward to the day when you do start sharing your heart in public, don.