Skip to main content

Slayer of aliens, er, leaves and a wasp

I have lots of things I'd like to blog about, but I'm too tired after spending most of the day working in the yard. Heh, I went out the door this morning with Wendell Berry on my mind, but by the end of the day, I suddenly found myself thinking of Private Vasquez of Aliens as she walked through that alien infested colony carrying that huge gun. Only I was brandishing a leaf blower. And slaying dead leaves. Heh. I also dug grass out of the mulch areas, dragged six bags of the stuff in between pokey bushes and spread the stuff out. Going for a glass of water, I yelped when I discovered a bird scampering about my kitchen and dumbfoundedly tried to figure out how to get it out the back door (tapping lightly with a broom in the direction of the door works). I used our weed eater to edge the driveway and sidewalk, and rescued my kids and their neighborhood friends from a wasp in the basement with a flyswatter.

It was a good day. Got lots done and I enjoyed the sun and breezes, the smell of damp dirt and even the tired achiness in my arms. And it not only rained, but we had rumbles of thunder, too. Hope your day was good, too. Blessings.

(Image: Aliens copyrighted by 20th Century Fox, via flixster.com)