Skip to main content

Film Snapshot: Cars


Sally: Forty years ago, that interstate down there didn't exist.

Lightning McQueen: Really?

Sally: Yeah. Back then, cars came across the country a whole different way.

Lightning McQueen: How do you mean?

Sally: Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time.
I really like Sally's words, not because they call us back to better time (does such an animal exist?), but because they echo a call to a better life--one that moves, falls and curves with land in which it finds itself. A life that lives not to get somewhere but to experience the journey. It's a truth of which I often remind myself as I walk with Jesus and those whose paths I cross. It's not about arriving anywhere; in fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that walking with Jesus and others is the "arriving," only that's an arriving that keeps on going. As Andrew Peterson puts it, "The joy in the journey is enough to make a grown man cry." Amen.

(Image: copyrighted by Disney and Pixar)