Skip to main content

Sci-fi on the remake

Well, Comingsoon reports some news on the Escape to Witch Mountain remake front: Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson is in talks to play "a Las Vegas cab driver who picks up a pair of siblings with magical powers." Hrm. I'm okay with the cab driver bit, but I'm hoping the "magical powers" reference is just a bad choice of words and not signaling a departure from the original storyline (the kids were aliens with telekenetic powers, not "magical").

Also on the sci-fi remake front, the Illustrated Man remake has picked up a director and Keanu Reeves has signed on to play The Day the Earth Stood Still's Klaatu ("the humanoid alien who arrives on Earth accompanied by an indestructible, heavily armed robot and a warning to world leaders that their continued aggression will lead to annihilation by species watching from afar"). Buzz by FilmChat to see how Peter Chattaway titled this news. Heh.

Why follow sci-fi films on a God-talk blog? As I've said before, the sci-fi genre often touches on relevant themes and issues regarding what it means to be human, which inevitably gets to themes of religion or faith--and that brings God-talk into open spaces.

Comments

Know* said…
I Don't know if You think This is weird But I am Actually, Responding to your Blog on The Series Heroes. I have always tried to get into it. But I feel that it pushes away christian beliefs at times. I read what you had to say about it. I just watched the first episode. I guess I don't know yet. Do you think the writers had Jesus in Mind when the created that series?
Carmen Andres said…
thanks for stopping by - and taking the time to comment :) as to Heroes (like many of the shows i blog about), i don't think the writers set out to put in or write about Christian beliefs. but stories that resonate with us often have elements of truth that we can trace back to Scripture. Paul notes this in Acts 17 when he's on Mars Hill talking to a bunch of Greek philosophers. he uses bits and pieces of truth in the literature that they are familiar with to connect with them and lead them towards Jesus. the writers of those pieces of literature weren't Jews and didn't set out to write about God, but all truth is God's truth -- meaning when they captured bits and pieces of truth in their writing, they are seeing things about the world that are true, things about the world that reflect God. it is the same way with shows like Heroes, i think. the writers don't set out to write about God (and sometimes, like you've noticed, they actually write things that go against truth or the way things really work in the world around us). but we can find things in their stories that do reflect truth and God, and God can use those things to teach us more about him and help us connect to others about him. does that make sense?
Know* said…
did You Get My Last Reply?
Carmen Andres said…
no, i didn't :( sometimes blogger burps and loses a comment. my apologies.
Know* said…
Sorry I took so Long to Reply. I said before that I am in seminary right now. I am at a Cross roads with either staying at the Church I got saved in and starting my own church. I feel there is a set way of doing things, and I feel more out of the box. I believe Film is a great way to reach youth. It is a great way to reach anyone. Well I am at My 6th episode of Heroes, I'm Hooked. Please Participate on My Blog. www.akingdomnotofthisworld.com. and If you are buy Christian Books click the link Iamabookstore - Let me know what you think.