Skip to main content

Friday Five: Brushes with greatness

It's time for the Friday Five again. Courtesy of RevGalBlog: “David Letterman used to have a feature on his show called ‘Brushes with Greatness.’ Members of the audience would share stories of encounters with famous people. And so:
1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous. In the late 1970s, I was a freshman in high school and my youth group took a trip to Disneyland, where I cornered and got my picture taken with none other than [drumroll] Bobby Sherman, heh. In my years as an editor at a California law school, I met Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Janet Reno. In Washington, I met Madeleine L’Engle. And, a couple of years ago, I ate dinner a couple of feet away from and walked within inches of Steve Bushemi at a local restaurant during the time he was here filming Big Fish.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet. Jim Cantore, a man with an incredible story who makes the Weather Channel hip and fun. Then there’s Billy Graham. More on the famous but not-necessarily-celebrity-status are Donald Miller, Richard Foster, Dallas Willard, Eugene Peterson, Lauren Winner, and Luci Shaw.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet. Susan Britton, my soul-sister and a writer who should be sitting on the New York Times bestseller list. And Lauren Webster, who deserves to get a Tony at some point in her life. And Lenore, who is a wonderful journalist. And Karen, who deserves the Nobel. And my folks, who are incredible people.

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people? Heh, there’s an autographed poster of Lucy Lawless as Xena hidden away on a wall in our den. A former pastor-friend of mine, who knew I was a fan of the series, had a friend who worked in the biz and got him to get Lawless to pen a personalized note on one of her posters. I’ve also got signed books from a number of authors including Elizabeth Dole, Dan Stone (who was a friend of my folks) and Minnie Lamberth.

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for? If I’m going to be honest, I’ll have to admit I’d really like to write a Pulitzer recognized novel or non-fiction piece. But I’d settle for a bestseller. Heh.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago? Oh, where do I begin? I think I’d better not, heh.
(Image: by midom at flickr)